Core networking issues (?)

Topics: Bug, Question
Oct 9, 2016 at 11:39 PM
I've filed a few issues, but was unsure if others had see the same issues. The large one is "RtspSource / Proxy Features Broken". It seems that something in the logic behind allowing the server to connect to a source and another client (VLC) to connect to the server and receive that same source.... essentially A client using the server as a proxy. In Source->Server only mode, it appears all is well, all data is arriving. However when the client connects and requests the stream, there are major delays all over, both on source->server and client->server. Every 1-2 seconds there appears to be a 2-4 second delay in networking for the connections. This means that its really not possible to proxy anything using the current build.
Oct 11, 2016 at 12:53 AM
Edited Oct 11, 2016 at 12:58 AM
More debugging. I've tried the latest version back until 112176, none seem to work reliably. Here is a project, when placed in the root at the Media.sln level and included as a project will create a .264 file from an RTSP source. Increasing the buffer of the RtspClient helps but there are still major issues. The video plays with artifacts/pixelation and clearly its not the correct feed. Also, I print an 'x' for each time a frame is completed and being written to the output file. You can see these X's in the console output. They jump, then pause, then jump, sometimes stop forever, many times there will be a delay for 10+ seconds at which time it will read a little more. It feels like a thread locking / resource contention / networking or some such issue.

To help with debugging, I have included the project used for testing here:
ExportToH264Raw.zip

Clearly the areas of the code that matter have been touched as building against earlier tags generates different, but similar, issues.

It appears that over the last few years others have had similar issues on/off various builds:
How to create a file from H.264 RFC6184Stream and play it by ffplay
At the end of this thread it was reported to be working, yet I tried the same build with no success.

The attached project above is super simple and should point out the issue quickly. VLC can play the source, yet the client saving to .264 seems to write 95% of the data or something, and the networking read/write doesn't appear to happen smoothly.

This could be what is also impacting the server and its ability to proxy:
RtspSource / Proxy Features Broken
Coordinator
Oct 11, 2016 at 10:30 PM
Sorry I refuse to help or work on this project at this point in time.
Marked as answer by juliusfriedman on 10/11/2016 at 2:30 PM
Oct 23, 2016 at 3:37 PM
kaffecoder,

I've had the same issues. I've tried all builds back to 110763 (January 2015) and none have worked as a RTSP proxy server. In my use case I was simply trying to setup a RTSP proxy to perform NVR load testing, but I've been unable to make this work reliably. I get similar errors as you with any camera I could find to test (Arecont, Geovision, Hikvision, No Name Baby monitor.. etc). I'm starting to wonder, has this ever worked?

The FFserver, as part of FFmpeg, has recently been discontinued, but maybe that would be a better alternative?
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2016 at 7:42 AM
@ Henry;

This project has worked and more.

STFU, RTFM.

Pay for support or go fix the problem yourself.
Marked as answer by juliusfriedman on 10/29/2016 at 11:42 PM